Thursday, November 13, 2014

Seville and Ronda

Hola! I'll try to keep this one short (your welcome). We've arrived in Portugal from Seville and are on the last week and a half of our trip (wow!) Getting to Seville was an adventure. After arriving at the train station and learning the train we wanted to take was sold out, we opted for a different route that should have been straight forward. Three hours (or something like that) and however many train delays later we arrived in a tiny little town cast orange from street lights and fog, and had 2 hours to kill until our next train. Starving and cranky and tired, we set out to find food and beer. I am only mentioning this so I will never forget the first time I ate Spam. We walked into a bar filled with old Spanish men and ordered dinner. And when the chef walked out with a pink patty as big as the plate that looked like raw burger, I almost cried. Really.  They can't possibly eat raw meat? Nope, that would be a Spam patty, or something similar, that was a little bigger than the size of my head. Trying not to cry, all I could do was laugh. And I downed my beer.  Then I ate the Spam burger without thinking too much into it. And I survived. 

Seville was a bit of a let down. I feel almost heretical saying it, becuase it's supposed to be one of the most beautiful cities in Spain according to some very reliable friends who have spent time there.  Okay, in the interest of full disclosure, but time we got to  Seville I was exhausted, and still cranky, and probably a little sick from my raw or spam or god-knows-what burger, and then I took 3 walking tours back to back.  I knew I needed a down day, but being 24 and on a new continent with so much to see, people to meet, things to eat, I proceeded with the arrogance of youth to wear myself out and not even enjoy it. I got back to the hostel, called my Mom and texted my best friend, and told them both I missed them and wanted to come home. And they both told me I was just tired. Phew, I didn't suck at life!  I wasn't failing and I was still on an amazing adventure and what, I just needed to sleep? Who'd have thought. Thanks mom and Nat, for reminding me that it's okay to be human.  I, remarkably, did get some photos of Seville. 

(Plaza de Espana)

(Still the Plaza)

(And a cool tree- this one is for Wes!)

After going to bed early, I woke up refreshed and in much better spirits. I decided part of my down-heartedneas probably also had to do with being in cities for 5 weeks- I needed to escape to some green and open space, and fast. I got on a bus and made my way to Robda, which is a small town about 2 hours from Seville, but what felt like so much farther.


My heart was made happy, and my sense of self and adventure was successfully restored. It's amazing the effects nature can have on your body and mind.  The air and foliage and even the rain lifted my spirit, and I was reminded how important it is for me to get out in the open every now and again to stay sane. And Ronda was breathtaking.



Grandma asked me about the history of Ronda, and unfortunatley I didn't really find out when I was there. I just wandered and hiked and reminded myself to breathe. I'll look it up and tell you when I'm home, Grams! :)




Needless to say (becuase I kind of already said it) going out and exploring on my own that day was the best decision I could have made. I loved Ronda, and I am once again excited to be on my way. I miss Wes and my family and friends more than I can describe, but that makes it all the more sweet when I finally do get to see you all. 








No comments:

Post a Comment