Thursday, November 6, 2014

From Barcelona to Granada

As you all know, Barcelona was quite the adventure.  One thing that I have been thinking about today (I spent 7 hours on a train) has been the concept and my perceptions of what an adventure is.  It sounds like such a cliche word to use to describe things.  I mean, really, in todayś world of connectivity and the endless access to information, reviews, directions, adventure can seem somewhat elusive.  But that would mean just categorizing adventure as something outlandish, wild, never done before, crazy.  What I am trying to say is, I recently (as in earlier today on the train) have come to appreciate the more mundane seeming but equally enriching experiences that may be easier to come by-than say biking across Monglia without a map- but are still perception shiftying experiences.  Adventure doesn´t necessarily have to be something huge, but can be as simple as sitting in a four person train cabin with three older-than-middle-aged men who smoke out of pipes and ask me to read aloud the book I am currently engrossed in, despite that they don't speak English.  Can I add here as an aside that, pending my Ipad´s recent demise, I was reading off my Iphone and I have been writing these posts on a Spanish keyboard?  Yep, Iḿ counting those as adventures.  So hereś to more adventures and experiences, and less comparing and contrasting how I am not living up to the "adventure" of travel.

Onwards and upwards.  Barcelona rocked my socks.  I loved the Boqueria (the market), I loved the people, and I loved getting lost and finding my way back to our hostel all by my lonesome without wifi (adventure). Despite my challengers, or perhaps because of, Barcelona will shine bright in my mind going forward. All good things come to an end, and yesterday we said goodbye to Barcelona and headed on our merry way to Valencia.  While the architecture, history and culture in these European cities is all jaw dropping (I have a million photos of nothing but architecture), it seems to be a reoccurring theme that the people Ive met are the real gems.  Nick and Ericka treated themselves to a couples night in a hotel (cant blame them) and I struck out on my own to a hostel.  But not for a minute did I feel alone.  Immediately upon my arrival I met two sisters from Colorado who have been traveling together all over Europe for three months, a woman from Canada who owns her own make-up line and can work from anywhere in the world, an Iranian woman who works in Moscow and was on a short holiday, and a twenty something girl from Denmark who works as a psychiatric nurse and was taking her 5 week vacation time to explore Spain. We headed out for dinner together and found an awesome little bar that served 1 euro tapas and 2 euro beers.

One of the really interesting and hysterical things about meeting people from all over the world is comparing stereotypes.  This came up in Barcelona when we were at the gin bar, and again last night with a table full of women from all over the world.  Americans are loud but friendly, Iranian women dont drink or really talk and definitely dont have careers, Danish women are beautiful and athletic and pretty much perfect, and no one knows anything about Canadian women.  I found Shaw, the woman from Iran, absolutely fascinating.  She is smart, beautiful and works in a male-dominated position as a consultant in Moscow.  She speaks three languages, loves to drink beer, and has a deep appreciation for Spanish men.  She defied every stereotype, and was incredibly sweet to boot. We ate good food, drank shitty beer and made plans for us all to come to Moscow.  New Years 2016- itś on!


When we got back to the hostel, there were a number of people still up and about.  I met another really cool human.  When we came in he was sitting down at the kitchen table, computer open obviously working on a blog.  Marsha (my new Canadian friend) and I sparked up a conversation and I quickly learned that we had successfully sought out a storyteller.  This gent left his job in England as an Environmental Consultant in the energy industry, and has been bike bound since August. Hes ridden his bike all the way from London, down through France and along the eastern coast of Spain.  He powers his travel by pedaling, camps when he can, and stays in hostels when itś feasible.  But alas, his story is not mine to tell but is quite his own.  If interested, you can check his blog out here.

Valencia was really fun, but I was so ready to leave the big city and venture into a smaller town.  I did capture a few shots along the way, though. 

This is the old silk market of Valencia, and is a Unesco World Heritage Site. I was literally right in front of the hostel. 
And the Cathedral- because what European city doesn't have one.

After one night in Valencia, I decided to catch the train out of the big city and am now writing to you from Granada- home of the Alhambra, Fredrico Garcia Lorca, and Angel Barrios.  Granada has held this really special place in my imagination for a really long time.  I cant tell you when I first learned about this sea-side town, but I have wanted to come here for years.  Lorca is one of my favorite poets, and Barrios is what I used to listen to when studying.  In my imagination, this is a city of enchantment, where east meets west, or more precisely, north meets south.  Ive finally made it, and I couldnt be more stoked.

Love and miss you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment