Monday, October 20, 2014

Reflections on the 5 hour trip to Rome

 It's Friday and we're on our way to Rome on a bus filled with 36 people. Watching the landscapes roll by surprisingly reminds me of home in the Spring.  It's green, and expansive. There are agricultural fields, vineyards, and olive groves perched on the hillsides.  Impressive "villas" abound, which is something I would typically associate with wine tasting at home, but I'm pretty sure are mostly private residences and have been for years.  One thing in particular keeps smacking me in the face on this trip though and it's something I never want to forget- I won't be young, agile, and healthy forever. Having not only the fitness and youth to explore and experience the world, but the ability to do so at 24 feels like a cosmic collision of unwarranted luck. 

 I have a deep respect and appreciation for those on this trip that aren't in my position.  And there are many.  There are women along well past middle age that have packed bags of bricks. But they trudge up and down the staircases, hop on the trains, and climb the endless hills to our hotels.  Yes, there is complaining, but they're here and they're doing it. They've raised families, had careers, and now are retired or using their vacation time to explore and expand their love of photography.  I respect the pursuit of learning in all of them.  But they're experience here is drastically different than mine.  I hiked up, alone, to an incredible vantage point yesterday that I was only able to reach because of my health and fitness level (which, for 24 years old, isn't remarkable by any means).  I climbed the church stairs in Florence and walked back from the city overlook through the narrow streets to our hotel, experiencing a different city at night. I explored all of Volterra on foot that I could, and saw a different city than those who were restricted by the lack of taxis or transportstion options in an ancient, walled, fortrace-like city.
 
All of this is owing to my ability to do this trip in my healthful and youthful state.  So thank you, family and friends, for supporting me along the way and making this trip possible. I feel incredibly blessed.

Jump forward three days ( it's Monday morning) and I am now sitting in our hotel room in Rome.  I should probably call it my hotel room, seeing as my roommate of two weeks is now on her way, along with the rest of the McKay group, to Sorrento. Waking up this morning has a different feel, for sure.  It is the start of my solo trip, and as cliche and probably trite as it sounds, I am filled with a mix of excitement, anxiety, and a little bit of what I think is a healthy fear.  I've heard so much about Naples in the last two weeks.  As soon as someone finds out that's where I'm headed, I get responses of either "Oh, you'll love it," or "Hold tight to your purse."  I've booked the best and safest hostel, Mom, so I feel good about the trip.  I'll be heading down to the train in a few hours, and then into Naples for at least two nights.  I hope to visit Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri in my 5 day solo sojourn.  I'll be sure to write about my time in Rome very soon!

Here's me writing from bed this morning! :)

1 comment:

  1. I love your posts and reading your blog!!! You make me feel like I'm right there with you! Keep up the great stories!!

    ReplyDelete