Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Moments with Mom

My mom came to visit this weekend!  I had been so looking forward our time together since she decided she could come!  It’s such a treat to have mom in town.  All of those little things I’ve been wanting to do, places I’ve wanted to explore— well, she’s the perfect partner in crime.  We slept in, soaked in the hot tub, visited my favorite spots, drank Prosecco out of Klean Kanteens, and overall had a lovely relaxing weekend.  So perfect.  Oh!  And she won $20 in scratchers.  I'd say it was a successful few days...

 
We spend Saturday in Avila Beach, and it was one of the clearest days I've seen here.  We could see way out to Oceano Dunes to the south, and the water was turquoise.  We meandered through the shops, had lunch in the sun, and drank Chardonneys in a new little open-air wine bar.  It started sprinkling on us and we moved inside.
 

(Isn’t she just cute as a button?!??! ?)

 
As we were relaxing with our wine, we watched a wedding on the beach.  Such a beautiful spot to tie the knot!  Except the rain…but I have heard rain is good luck on your wedding day, right?
 

After a lovely day in Avila, I took Moma on one of my favorite drives.  It’s on a road that stretches from Avila to San Luis Obispo, and winds through the Irish Hills area, past vineyards with tasting rooms and apple orchards with signs offering cider. After about 15 minutes, you climb and climb until it opens up to this sweeping vista.  On clear days you can see Morro Rock, and it was an especially clear day.


We were on a roll with sweeping vistas, so to keep up the momentum I drove us out to Montana De Oro— one of my favorite places in the world.  We got there just before sunset, so the colors were vivid and the views just wouldn’t quit.


(I told you she’s adorable)


We picked a spot in the sand on one of the dunes, and watched as the sun dipped behind the flat expanse of water.  This was a moment from her visit that I won't soon forget- I was with one of my favorite people in my favorite place.  It’s hard to get much better than that…

 
The central coast moves at a different pace than most places.  It’s easy to slow down here, with beaches like this that feel deserted, scattered throughout the county.  I feel incredibly lucky to now call this place home and get to share it with the people I love.  Bring on the visitors (and thanks mom for being the first!)
 






2 comments:

  1. I also won $20 on scratch offs!!!! Was a great weekend!!! You are such a great hostess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete