Monday, December 8, 2014

Weekend Wanderings

Happy, happy Monday.  I hope you had a lovely weekend.  Mine was pretty quiet, but filled with a number of simple pleasures that are tough to fit in during the week, especially when it’s dark when I wake up and dark when I get off work.   As I said before, I’m trying to make a habit out of exploring my home with as much enthusiasm as I did when I was abroad.  It’s tougher than you’d think!  It’s really easy to sleep in, sit on the couch, browse Netflix, and Christmas shop in my PJs.  I am by no means saying those things are bad, I think they’re needed every now and again, but they should not take up a day, especially one filled with sunshine and clear skies in December. 

          (Saturday morning sunrise)

       (Angels Camp Chapel, Main St.)

I started my weekend with a hike at New Melones Reservoir, which is currently more like New Melones Pond.  The drought has hit us hard here, as it has most places.  The low water is unveiling the reservoirs original river route- it’s always humbling how nature sometimes finds ways to re-emerge in its original form, even in the toughest of circumstances.  

(Yep, that's a reservoir. Taken with my Lumix DSLR)

(Even in a drought, it's the most beautiful country)


(I came around a corner and loved how the light lit the tree up. Taken with Lumix DSLR)

After wandering the paths around the reservoir for a bit, I made my way back into town to pick up Lateefah for the Calaveras County Mentoring Program’s Holiday Party.  For those who aren’t familiar, I have been blessed with a minion- she’s 14 and she’s awesome.  We have become good friends over two years, and I have been humbled by her resilience.  She’s a totally kick-ass mini-woman who is idolized by her friends and has prevailed through situations no child should ever have to negotiate.  She’s simply rad and she thinks I’m kind of cool to hang out with every Tuesday.  I’m a lucky adult to have a teenager like her in my life to remind me how awesome life can be.  

(Not the greatest photo of us, but the only one I got!)


Okay, probably enough gushing for the moment.  The holiday party was filled with karaoke, crafts, chili, cider and children.   Who knew Christmas time has so many C’s?  After the party, Huck and I hopped on our dirt bikes for a quick spin (sorry Mom and Grandma!).  I ride a Honda CRF 250, and am getting better and better at it!  Huck has me outfitted with the safety gear, and has been a patient teacher.  I think I’ve mastered the whole clutch concept, and love it!  Okay, I love it until I fall, but with the gear on it doesn’t hurt that bad.  The accessibility of the bikes is what I love most- it opens up the landscape around Huck's house, which is filled with trails and valleys and gulley’s that would be impossible to wholly cover on foot, and I’m not in near good enough shape to attempt the landscape on a mountain bike.  The dirt bikes allow us to access these beautiful and remote places, and we’re old and conscious enough to not rip through people’s property with the exhausts a-blaring.  It’s a win-win!


Sunday was exceptionally low-key.  I took Bodhi on a hike, helped Huck work in the garden on a tractor (okay, watched Huck work in the garden on a tractor), and then reaped the garden work spoils with a beautiful sunset bonfire.  I sat with my Kindle and was overwhelmingly aware how lucky we are to live in a place like this. 


     (Yep, Huck's backyard! Pretty great)

And I’ll take this moment and let you all know (well, those who don’t know) that I will very soon be leaving this little foothill town for San Luis Obispo.  I lived there 5 years ago (wow, it’s been that long!?), and will make it home once again while Huck finishes his degree at Cal Poly.  I will keep my same job with O.A.R.S., and will work remotely from our little home on the Central Coast.  The chapters keep changing in my life, and it’s a very exciting time. 

*Oh, by the way! I did want to mention all photos are taken with my IPhone expect where noted :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment